- Books Name
- Class-8 Science Book
- PathSet Publications
- CBSE Class 8
Sound is Produced by Vibrating Bodies
Sound helps us to communicate with one another and plays an important role in our life. The vibrating body produces sound.
What is sound?
- A sound is a form of energy that is produced when air molecules vibrate in a particular pattern called waves. Hence, the sound is a wave.
- Vibration can be described as a back and forth motion of an object.
- Depending upon the vibrations, a sound is produced. Sound cannot be produced without any vibration.
Sound is important as it helps us to communicate with one another. A variety of sounds are generated in the surroundings.
Sound is Produced by a Vibrating Body:
Production of sound waves:-
- Vibration: The back-and-forth motion of an object is called vibration.
- A sound is produced by a vibrating body. The to and fro or back and forth motion of an object is termed as vibration.
- Vibrating objects produce sound. Example: Sound is produced when a string or band is plucked.
- The sounds are produced due to these vibrational energies.
- As the amplitude of the sound waves is quite small, the vibrations are not visible. But it can be felt.
- Sound or sound waves are generated or produced by different sources.
- When a body vibrates, it produces sound in the surrounding medium.
- The vibrations are transferred to the medium surrounding the sound source.
- When the vibrations propagate away from the source, they form a sound wave.
- The speed at which they moved is called the speed of sound.
- In most cases, the amplitude of vibrations is so small that we cannot hear them. However, we can feel the vibrations if we come in contact with the vibrating body.
- You can feel the vibrations of the diaphragm stretched over speakers.
- A tightly stretched band when plucked, vibrates and produces sound.