- Books Name
- Class-8 Science Book
- PathSet Publications
- CBSE Class 8
NON- CONTACTING FORCES
Force due to without interaction between two objects is called non-contact force. For example; a magnet can pull an iron nail from a distance.
Magnetic force, Electrostatic force, and Gravitational force are examples of non-contact force.
(a) Magnetic Force
- A magnet can exert a force on another magnet without being in contact with it.
- The force exerted by a magnet is an example of a non-contact force.
Example: Opposite poles of two magnets attract each other and the same pole repel each other.
(b) Electrostatic Force
- When a charged body exerts a force on another charged or uncharged body is called electrostatic force.
- A positively charged body attracts a negatively charged body and repels a positively charged body without coming in contact, thus it is a non-contact force.
Example: A straw rubbed with paper attracts another straw.
- The figure below shows Electrostatic force acting on bits of paper from a distance
- This force is exerted by the earth, moon, sun, and other planets to others.
- Since, the earth attracts all objects even without coming in contact, thus the gravitational force is a non-contact force.
- The force that pulls the objects towards the earth.
- It is the force of attraction between the particles of matter.
- For example – The falling of an apple from a tree
Example: When we release an object from a height, it falls over the ground because of the gravitational attraction of the earth.
Force Concept Map