- Books Name
- Class-8 Science Book
- PathSet Publications
- CBSE Class 8
- When two or more mirrors are placed at some angle to one another, multiple images of an object is formed.
- For example- the hairdresser shop has two mirrors placed opposite to each other. If a man is sitting between them, His image is formed in both the mirrors. This will give result in the formation of multiple images.
- The number of images formed depends on the angle between the two mirrors.
- If the given two mirrors are at a right angle to each other, 3 images will be obtained. If the given mirrors are at 60° angle, we shall get 5 images.
- When the two mirrors are kept opposite and parallel to each other, we will get an infinite number of images formed.
What is a Periscope?
- A Periscope is an instrument that is used to look at objects that are not in the line of sight of the observer.
- In other words, it is used to see objects that are hidden.
- The Periscope works on the phenomena of multiple reflections of light.
- Inside the periscope, there are two mirrors that are inclined at an angle of 45
- Periscopes are generally used in submarines, tanks and bunkers by the soldiers.
What is a Kaleidoscope?
KALEIDOSCOPE -The idea of a number of images formed by mirrors placed at an angle to one another is used in a kaleidoscope to make numerous beautiful patterns.
- It is a device that works on the phenomena of multiple reflections with the help of multiple mirrors.
- It has a cylindrical structure with three plane mirrors inside it.
- It contains several pieces of beads, broken glass, colourful bangles, pebbles, etc.
- The observer can look into the Kaleidoscope from one end and the light enters into the Kaleidoscope from the other end.
- When the light falls upon these objects in the Kaleidoscope, multiple reflections of these objects are created in the three Mirrors.
- This results in the formation of beautiful and colourful patterns.
- Since the reflection of light is not always the same the observer never sees a similar pattern in the kaleidoscope.