- Books Name
- CBSE Class 6 Science Book
- Param Publication
- CBSE Class 6
Foods eaten by living organisms
On the basis of their food habit, animals are of three types :
(i) Herbivores : Animals which eat plants and plant products – these are called herbivores. e.g. Cow, sheep, deer elephant etc.
(ii) Carnivores : Animals which eat flesh of other animals are called carnivores. e.g. Lion, Tiger, Fox, Wolf etc.
(iii) Omnivores : Animals eating both plants and animals are called omnivores.e.g. Humans, crow, squirrels and cockroaches.
- Books Name
- Class 6 Science Book
- PathSet Publications
- CBSE Class 6
Why do we need Food?
- We know that all living things be it plants and animals need food and water to live on.
- We need food because food gives us energy.
- The food we eat gives our body essential nutrients to help us grow and heal when we are injured or are ill.
- Thus food keeps us healthy and provides us with essential nutrients to fight diseases and maintain body functions.
Food is a substance eaten by us to do work, growth, maintain our body and remain healthy.
- Food Definition: - It refers to the edible substances consumed by humans and other animals in order to obtain energy for various tasks as well as growth and development.
- We must NEVER WASTE food in any way.
- We must consume food four times a day to remain healthy -Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Snacks, Dinner.
Importance of Food
- The importance of food for living organisms is as follows:
- It helps in the growth of living organisms.
- It also helps to repair and replace damaged parts of the body.
- This provides the energy required for various activities.
- It provides protection from infections and various diseases.
- It helps in the overall growth and development of an organism.
- We must eat different kinds of food at different times for proper Nutrition.
- Different people eat different types of food according to their habits, lifestyle, taste, region, religion, availability and various other factors.
- Even in a single-family different people have different choices of food.
What are ingredients?
- Food Ingredients are the materials required to prepare the dish we consume as food.
- Food Ingredients can be obtained from plant sources and animal sources.
- To prepare food we need different kinds of ingredients for example - To cook vegetable curry we need different types of vegetables, salt, spices oil and so on. Another example is to prepare vegetable curry, we need different kinds of vegetables, salt, spices, oil
Ingredient: Any substances or materials that are required to produce a dish are called Ingredients.
Example: Atta (flour) and water are the two ingredients required to make a chapatti.
- The table given below shows some food items and major ingredients used to prepare them