- Books Name
- CBSE Class 7 Science Book
- Param Publication
- CBSE Class 7
Soil shows various characteristics like:
Percolation rate of water in different type of Soil
• Take three PVC pipes of about 5 cm diameter and 20 cm length.
• Select three different sites or places having soil of different types, say sandy, clayey and loamy.
• Now place the three PVC pipes about 2 cm deep in the ground (Fig. 8.8).
• Pour 200 mL water with the help of a graduated beaker in each pipe slowly.
• Note the time taken to pour 200 mL water till all the water in the pipe has seeped into the ground.
Calculate the rate of percolation for the three sites separately as follows :
Using the formula, calculate the percolation rate for soil at sites B and C also.
Greater the spaces between soil particles greater will be percolation rate. On the basis of this, properties of soil particles can be determined.